Pillows are essential for a good night’s sleep, but they can also harbor dust, allergens, and bacteria that can affect your health and comfort.
Pillows can expire even if they are not used, and using expired pillows can have negative consequences for your sleep quality and well-being.
In this article, we will explain why pillows expire, how to tell if your pillows are expired, and how to choose the best custom body pillow for your needs.
Why do pillows expire?
Pillows expire because they lose their shape, support, and cleanliness over time.
Depending on the type and quality of the pillow, it can last anywhere from six months to three years before it needs to be replaced.
Some of the factors that affect the lifespan of a pillow are:
Natural fillings such as down, feather, or wool tend to last longer than synthetic fillings such as polyester or memory foam.
However, natural fillings can also attract more dust mites and allergens, so they need to be cleaned more often.
The more you use your pillow, the more it will wear out and lose its loft and firmness.
If you sleep on your pillow every night, you will need to replace it more often than if you use it occasionally or as a decorative item.
Washing and drying your pillow regularly can help remove dirt, sweat, oils, and dead skin cells that accumulate on the surface and inside the filling.
However, washing and drying can also damage the fibers and reduce the lifespan of the pillow.
Therefore, it is important to follow the care instructions on the label and use a pillow protector to keep your pillow clean and fresh.
Some signs can indicate that your pillows are expired and need to be replaced. Some of them are:
- The appearance: If your pillow looks flat, lumpy, stained, or discolored, it is probably past its prime. A good pillow should be fluffy, smooth, and evenly filled.
- The smell: If your pillow smells musty, moldy, or unpleasant, it has likely been contaminated by bacteria, fungi, or other microorganisms. A good pillow should smell fresh and clean.
- The feel: If your pillow feels hard, soft, or uneven when you press on it, it is probably losing its support and comfort. A good pillow should feel firm, resilient, and consistent.
- The fold test: This is a simple way to check the condition of your pillow. Fold your pillow in half and see if it springs back to its original shape. If it stays folded or takes a long time to unfold, it is time to get a new one.
How to choose the best custom body pillow for your needs?
If you are looking for a new pillow that suits your personal preferences and needs, you might want to consider getting a custom body pillow.
A custom body pillow is a long and large pillow that can support your whole body and provide extra comfort and coziness.
Some of the benefits of getting a custom body pillow are:
- You can choose the size, shape, material, and filling of your body pillow according to your sleeping position, body type, climate, and allergies.
- You can create a unique and personalized body pillow that reflects your style, personality, interests, or hobbies.
- You can use your body pillow as a decorative item for your bedroom or living room or as a gift for someone special.
A custom body pillow can be a great addition to your bedding collection.
However, like any other pillow, it also needs proper care and maintenance to last longer and stay fresh.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your custom body pillow:
- Wash your body pillow cover regularly according to the instructions on the label. Use mild detergent and cold water to avoid fading or shrinking.
- Dry your body pillow cover on low heat or air dry it completely before putting it back on the pillow.
- Fluff your body pillow regularly by shaking it or tossing it in the dryer with dryer balls or tennis balls.
Store your body pillow in a cool and dry place when not in use. Avoid direct sunlight or moisture that can damage the fabric or filling.